- Tourism in the area has changed. Fewer rooms and apartments are available, as the local population has swelled. Boarding houses and campsites have made a comeback and restaurants have declined. Some farmers offer traditional farm work and skills holidays; families from the city enjoy getting their hands dirty and working the horse-drawn carts to collect wood.
- Vibrant and busy local shops and post offices are now well established in all the villages in the district. Post Offices are well used in particular the local business communications and poste restante service for newcomers and foreign migrants. Notice boards and other information exchange services have sprung up around these shops. Some businesses have opened a combined food shop with another business such as a bar, tearooms, nappy laundry, alteration service, etc.
- Car mechanics at ‘Modern Vintage’ are refitting some of the old petrol vehicles with modern electric motors.
- Employment is almost 95% although very few work a five-day week. Most people have enough time and enough money to lead happy fulfilling lives
- Art groups have emerged as an important marketing element for many local businesses and hand-painted signs over shops and on hoardings are producing attractive and colourful streetscapes.
- Community work parties to induct and support foreign migrants are creating jobs in waste services and craft work
Policy Makers & Service Providers
- The restructuring of income tax is revisited and it is agreed that 80% will be collected directly by local authorities for them to administer, the other 20% will be paid to National Government. 60% of business tax will remain local and 40% will go to national government. Pensions and other state benefits will now be paid out of the local tax budget. Town and parish councils are to get a greater share of finance and their responsibilities will also increase to managing a number of open spaces, community halls and recreational facilities.
- Through the passing of the Green Bank bill, National Government sanctions a federation of local banks that can exchange funds and local currencies electronically within the UK.
Leave a comment
If you wish to comment on a particular paragraph
and quote the relevant number in your comment.